PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - They Are Making It Up
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2010, 07:10
Biggus

Received 73 Likes on 33 Posts
Surely the point everyone is hacked off with is that "followship" is just another corporate yuckspeak type word invented to describe qualities that have been in exisitance in both the military and civil worlds since the year dot. Alexander the Great was an effective leader, who no doubt had effective "followers" or wouldn't have achieved all that he did - it is not a new concept.....just a new bo**ocks buzzword!!!

As I have said, it is not new, it largely refers to your ability to be a team player, which is how it used to be described in military reports. Most teams, to be effective, have a leader. One of the aspects of being a good team player is support (but not unqualified support!) for the leader. I haven't attended any "followship" briefings, but it seems to me the term concentrates almost exclusively on the efectiveness of the followers support for the leader. There is actually far more to being a good team player than just your relationship with the leader, such as your interaction with and support of other team members....

Therefore it seems to me that describing someones effectiveness as a team player actually covers more ground than their effectiveness as a "follower". It also strikes me that "followship" is a phrase invented/beloved of leaders who want people to "follow" them more blindly.......