PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 27th Feb 2010, 04:20
Capt Krunch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
secretidentity67

I once new a friend that had a good deal of 747 classic command (+8000 PIC) as well as others Classic heavy wide-body jets. A educated professional. the only draw back was he had only 350hr EFIS as F/O on a Airbus which he obtained years previous. He was denied an interview by HR based on the 500hr EFIS requirement.

Havign said that I have also seen QA hire a guy straight off the DC-8 as a DEC on a A330 with no Glass time at all. needless to say he didn't make the training but did get the job initially.

So there is not telling what your chances are, but they do tend to stick to the min criteria. You must make it thru the HR gate before anyone else sees your CV.

wheelbarrow

the accommodation this has been covered a million times. do a SEARCH you might find something there. Generally speaking, yes there is no Villas left at the moment, but that might change tomorrow or it might change next year. there is no way of knowing. You'll hear one batch of new hires get a 3 bedroom apt. then the next batch are in a Villa somewhere.. it happens, for the most part expect an apartment or go find your own place. which is over priced to say the least.
Enjoying Qatar itself is completely up to your own expectations of enjoyment. this is not a western society so dont expect anything like you have back home. there are bars in the major hotels. entertainment is limited. Socializing with your friends at BBQ's or desert trips can be entertaining. having said that I have been here for a very long time by QA standards and quite frankly have not been out to the desert in years.. the novelty wears off quite easily. As for your wife, the divorce and separation rate here is very high. I wont say the airline or country causes that, but if you have some fractures in your relationship now, coming here will surely not make it any better. There is really nothing for a house wife to do and getting jobs is very difficult based on the sponsorship system they have here not to mention the Qatarization scheme.
there are allot of expats in this country (we are all the workers) so meeting people is no problem. One this is for certain, you wont see to many smiling faces wandering around in public. It certainly tells me something about living here, But then again i'm still here

Poisoned by Compromise
Krunch