PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did anybody get a job in the last year and a half
Old 27th Feb 2010, 01:12
cessnagirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had 2 offers last year-2009.

First flying Kingairs, pay for type rating and salary of £18,000.

Second, on a scheme with a certain operator that uses jetstreams. Work 2 years in operations with accomodation provided and a yearly salary of £12,000. After the two years, a bonded type rating on their aircraft and a salary of £22,000.

As I'm still paying off a student loan, I declined both offers. At the end of the day, you have to be practical. You need to be able to put food on your table and a roof over your head.

Since then, I've been promoted in my current job earning 55K and if I play my cards right, I could have a chance to move up the ladder within the next year or two.

I'm sure there's a few of you out there who regard me foolish for not taking up one of the offers I got. But since then, the kingair operator have cut their fleet to two aircraft and the other crowd have cut some routes and are imposing pay cuts on their pilots. Hindsight is all very well, isn't it? I decided to play it safe and as luck would have it, made the right decision.

It was a great boost for my confidence to get job offers in an inclement job market. I don't regret my decisions. I'm confident I will get a better offer when the market picks up, which I will be in a position to accept. Meanwhile I'm making the best of a bad situation. I'm keeping current. I've bought a flat in an upmarket area, which will be a good future investment. Also, I'm clearing off any debts and living my life as best as I can.

And my usual two cents worth...
-Believe in yourself and your abilities. If you don't, nobody else will.
-STAY CURRENT!!!
-Don't put your life on hold. Life is for living.
-Never sell yourself short.
-Look after your health. No class 1, you know what that means.
-If life hands you a bag of lemons, make lemonade.

So.... critics...
Go right ahead. You're entitled to your opinions.

Trolls...
Get back under your bridge.

Regards, CG