PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Axe Man of Apia
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2010, 00:29
JohnnyK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well said Centaurus.

Centarus,

Great post. I have recently begun my first foray into multicrew flying and found it extremely challanging. Attempting to find the right mix of being respectful/friendly/professional/appropriately deferential without crossing into the murky waters of being a generally walked over, obsequious,brown nosed,over familiar smart arse towards very strong charactered left seat types whose experience exceeds mine by about 5,000,000 hours whilst trying to do a circling approach at foul weather at night in a machine that was twice as heavy and twice as powerful with many more switches and buttons than anything I was used to just about drove me(and them) to very long sentences and a drink or two. Unfortuneatly, or fortuneatly depending how you look at it, the dynamics and chemistry of human relationships dictate that the combinations of any two,randomly chosen, personalities flung together by time and circumstance into any given cockpit will result in an inherently unique atmosphere of moods,ego, expectations and expertise. Some combinations are,literally, explosive whilst others are made in heaven-who wouldnt want to fly with somebody they considered their mate as long as it can be done in a safe and professional manner. However, this will always be the exception rather than the rule and it is the measure of the individuals involved in ensuring that personal tensions are made subservient to the infinitely more important task of flying the aircraft. Anger and its close relative, abuse, are not welcome in any cockpit. Respect,diplomacy and professionalism certainly are. However, when all else fails, I guess you can always break out the axe, fix the bastard in the eye, and say " for the last time Captain, set 7000 feet"