PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - need some info here on diff. 172 types
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2002, 04:05
mattpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need some info here on diff. 172 types

hi

I was wondering if anyone could help me out, please (you dont hear that word to often )

I have experience on the 152 (carb operated) and the 172R (fuel injected). I know how to operate both systems very well.

Anyhow, the local FBO who rents out planes has 172N or P types. You know, the older 172 carb operated ones. Since my instructor signed me off for the 152 and the 172R, the FBO lets me fly all of their 172's. Thats the way it goes in the US . I'm confident that i will have no problem operating a older 172 since the system operating is the same as the 152 and the V speeds the same as 172R's - thats not what i'm worried about.

ANyhow, I recently read on a 'sales' website that the older 172's(older than 'R' version), have different weight limitations.

For example, one site said it max takeoff weight was 2150. For a diff type it said 2050.

Is that true?

The 172R has max takeoff weight at 2450 (that, i know).

I know it ain't no big problem/issue but i was planning on taking one of their planes up with 2 pax. But when i show up with 2 extra guys and the max weight is 300 lbs down, i dont think i can fit both of them in there.

Anyhow, to make this post more worthwhile , i'd like to ask you guys who have experience on older types what else i should consider when flying the older metal as compared to the '99 version?

Thanks for any help!