PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA and BA in court...
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2010, 20:45
dwshimoda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight Pay

Having been contacted directly by a very helpful BA Skipper today, I now fully understand the terms of this specific Flight Pay, and why it is correct under these circumstances for BALPA to be fighting for it. I still think the following points are still valid:

1) It is terrible timing - I understand now that this is the culmination of several years work, but the timing is appalling. However this is due to the speed that the courts and appeals work, so it's unfair to blame BALPA or anyone else for that.

2) "Flight Pay" has different meanings from airline to airline. At BA it is very different to where I work, and so you cannot compare the two. (Basil:
If anyone does not understand the history of Flight Pay then a Professional Pilots' website is not the place for them to comment.
This therefore applies to you also then, so maybe you would like to retract your words?

3) Getting back to the origin of the thread, I still think that whilst may be a small victory, there are many, many other issues BALPA should be fighting, and with much more teeth. Seeing this happen would help unite us as a workforce, and God forbid, perhaps we might come together and really take the piss poor management to task that is introducing the biggest threats to this great profession. BALPA need to understand this to get people to engage with them. Over 60% are disillusioned according to the poll running on another thread.

Anyway, my thanks to Tim at BA for giving me the full details.

DW.

(ps, flew out on BA today to Prague for a long weekend - uneventful flight, but great Cabin Crew as always - please don't let BASSA destroy your career)