PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - gcse subject's
Thread: gcse subject's
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2010, 17:37
Matt101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by paco
Physics would be more important than any of those, unless it's included with "science" these days. But I would also include Biology (for Human Factors - if you know your physiology well, you can just about scrape a pass on that alone) and Geography (Met), and since only 21% of the world speaks English, Spanish as one of the next biggest languages, especially if you're going to fly helicopters. Another language is probably the cheapest way a pilot can gain a useful qualification.

Basic maths also, I guess.

Phil
Just generic Science these days I'm afraid with either a double or triple award depending on aptitude, but they are not broken into individual subjects except for teaching.

To the OP,

You have to do the core subjects (Math, English Lit & Lang and Science) beyond that do something you enjoy. Although I know it may not seem it now GCSE's are about as relevant as..... well..... something not very relevant by the time it gets to writing the CV.

Just ensure you get the prerequisite "5 at C or above including English & Maths", this is about the only requirement I have ever seen on a Job advert for anything from Caretaker to CEO with regards GCSE's. When it comes to A Levels and Degree you should choose more carefully, keeping in mind what you are good at, what you enjoy and what will earn you enough money to pay for training!

You may want to start saving now though and get some work in towards your PPL and how about joining your local ATC squadron. I know you have already put aside the RAF for some reason but the ATC will offer you some free flying and gliding as well as a lot of other adventure based trips and events, plus it shows an interest in aviation from an early age - which will probably be far more important than talking about whether you chose Business Studies or Art at GCSE while being interviewed.

Best of luck!