PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK road show
Thread: EK road show
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2010, 08:37
atpcliff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi!

There are very few B777s flying in the US. There are no A-340s, and only a handful of A-330s at NWA/Delta. With that large of an aircraft, I doubt that any of the US pilots on either of those airframes are furloughed.

The "normal" 121 airlines are limited to 8 hours of flying with two pilots. However, my 121 airline allowed up to 10 hours for two pilots, and then there's the "Ferry" leg. After you fly your "commercial" legs, you can legally ferry the airplane with no freight or pax, unlimited duty hours/flight hours/unlimited distances.

I have flown 12 hours with a 121 two-man crew, and my friend had a VERY long day with LOTS of flying, and at the end the company had them ferry the plane from Yellowknife to El Paso, TX, which is a VERY long way. Ferries from Europe to the US are not unheard of after you are out of duty time.

My longest duty day, two man crew, 121, was about 25 hours. NOT very nice.

The above is one of the reasons that Congress is forcing the FAA to change the Flight/Duty/Rest requirements as we speak. It will be similar to the UK rules. Some of our Flight/Duty/Rest rules are LITERALLY from the 1920s/1930s!!!

cliff
NBO