PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB Recommends Airlines Routinely Monitor CVR's
Old 26th Feb 2010, 03:51
rottenray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every Other...

... employee of every major concern has been subjected to video and audio surveillance for the last two decades.

Personally, I'd prefer that your employers didn't download CVR and FDR data as a way of "keeping tabs" on you.

On the other hand -

- funny how there is always that extra other hand...

... some of the employment situations pilots find themselves in truly warrant constant review.

Young newbs who don't consider themselves to be mortal or fallible might benefit from this.

It would be a huge violation of workspace privacy to those who have proven themselves through years of exemplary performance.

But there needs to be a compromise.

Grown from roots pilots might need to accept more monitoring, simply to help younger pilots who have not had the benefit of the same training and chance for experience.

Do I think it's a good idea personally?

With great emphasis, NO!

But, I'm from the generation who reveled in flying aboard a 727.

Facts are, many pilots now are there for the earning potential as primary consideration.

If anyone else can help with this thought, I'll be grateful.

A certain percentage of those who worked themselves into right or left seats did so simply for the prestige and the money.

But many, perhaps most, climbed there way up because of a love for flight and genuine respect for the wonderful aircraft they could fly.

I think the percentage has changed in the last decade or so.

Not to insult any, and certainly not to insult the pilots who frequent PPruNe and post (and often excoriate me) I think the balance has shifted a bit.

Now, more are in it for the money, and fewer are in it for the love.

Do I object to constant review of pilots who consider their occupation just a job?

Not one bit. Have at it.

But, I truly don't want anyone to inhibit those pilots who consider their avocation to be what it truly is - a form of modern art which requires utmost skill, concentration, and knowledge to perform correctly.

Out of 10,000 flights, perhaps one flight would benefit from being monitored; the others would simply be a waste of time. Of this 10k, most points of interest would likely fall into the category of training and the information provided by ATC.

Out of a million flights, perhaps one would reveal "unacceptable" behavior on the flight deck.

And out of those, maybe one or two would present actionable behavior.

If we could "strip out" all the negatives at this point, we'd prolly have an extremely safe system. Adequate rest, a level of zero stress reporting for a flight, more accurate and reassuring load sheets.

Until we can provide that, we'll be stuck with the same system we have now. It's moderately safe.

Many new pilots are ushered into a system which, by its own admission, has a plethora of mutually exclusive compromises. Economics versus safety. Schedule versus safety and customer service.

I'm not knocking the current scheme, simply saying it could be much better.

RR