PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - unemployed 250 hour cpl holder,how to explain to frnds and family??
Old 26th Feb 2010, 02:38
peterporker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
??

With 250 hours you won't be getting an airline job anytime soon. So instead of sitting home and cribbing about your situation and worrying about what your family thinks why don't you get a non flying aviation job? Networking is very important to getting a flying job and you won't make any contacts sitting at home. I've been flying in India for a while now and I've yet to meet a CPL holder working as a dispatcher, cabin crew, aircraft cleaner, fueler, technician, etc. I'd recommend getting a job driving the crew transport, that way you'll be "rubbing elbows" with working crews. If you think that you're too good for any of these positions then you have no business flying an airplane. My favorite guys to fly with are the ones that have done some job outside of the cockpit. This makes them less arrogant and they treat their coworkers much better. I'm sick of flying with the rich kids who never went to college, introduce themselves as "captain", and treat the ground staff and cabin crew like servants. Here a link to a great show that shows the reality of aviation in most parts of the world and follows a few people on their quest to get into the cockpit.

Will Fly For Free, The Unprofessional Pilot Wall Of Shame!! Ice Pilot’s All 13 Episodes..

Also, if you haven't already, go to college and get a useful degree in something not related to aviation. This will give you more options when you get laid off from your flying job, lose your medical, or realize that aviation is not such a great career.

Don't wait for luck, make your own luck.