PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vikings to West Africa
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2010, 00:22
Duns-Scotus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only joined PPRuNe today, and already I'm making my first post...obviously I've come to the right place!

As a lad, I lived with my family just outside Accra, not far from the airport, from 1953 to 1964 (and subsequently in Nigeria).

I recall the Hunting Clan/Airwork 'Safari' services very well. My aunt used the service when she came from the UK to visit in early December 1956. My father and I met her at the airport in the early evening, and I recall hanging on the white picket fence that separated the car park from the apron, watching the Hunting Clan Viking putter up, swing round and park right in front of us. (The aircraft was G-AGRW, in case you're wondering! Although I'd only just learned to write, I already kept a log---not to mention drawing-books of crudely drawn Argonauts and DC-6s.)

On the side-topic of BOAC Stratocruisers on the West Africa run: These operated between the UK and Ghana and Nigeria from May 1957 for slightly over two years. Strats also appeared on WAAC services under wet-lease, with titles and emblem, in 1957-58, then flew similarly for the newly-formed Ghana Airways from July 1958 until the end of August the following year. (In October 1958, Nigerian Airways replaced WAAC on Nigeria UK services.)

Whereas Argonauts always staged through Tripoli and Kano (and usually also Rome), the Strats did indeed eliminate the Tripoli stop. A few WAAC flights visited both Lagos and Accra on the same service. Some Ghana Airways flights routed through Barcelona, while other BOAC services stopped at Algiers instead, or went by way of both Barcelona and Kano. The standard BOAC route, however, was Accra-Kano-Rome-London. Nigerian services normally took the same route, from Lagos instead.

Tripoli re-entered the schedule some time after Britannia 102s came on line.

Magically, our house was situated almost exactly where aircraft would turn from downwind to base leg on the way in to Accra airport. How could I have become anything other than a committed airliner enthusiast??