PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2010, 00:05
The Dominican

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1.- Under your opinion, what porcentage of pilots (roughly) actually quit even when succesful during the training, due to being unable to cope with the distance, or due to getting homesick?

Besides retirement of course, attrition here is negligible and for the three years that I've been here I know of 3 pilots that have left

2.- Is it fair to say that most people (western contractors) are in the job due to the crisis and are waiting for better (closer to home) opportunities to arise? In other words, how often do u surf the flight international webpage?

Very subjective question and it is impossible for me to say, personally I'm not looking, for what? at best a sideways move?

3.- Is renewal of the contract after 5 years a common ocurrence or people kind of "hold on" to get the 30 grand and jet off?

We have many guys on second and even third contracts here. I just wanted to say that even if you sign a new contract you will get your contract completion bonus

4.- Would u say that most people see this job as a long term commitment, somewhere to retire at, or like something u have to do until the market recovers?

I couldn't tell you what the guys here have on their heads, I'm mostly concentrated in what the voices inside my head are telling me! I don't know man, all I can tell you is that I'm not looking

I know the questions are a bit personal and difficult to answer. I'm just trying to get an overall impression of expectations from the majority of pilots on this contract.

Summarizing,

5.- When u guys are in the pub in the corner, do u talk about money and women (like everybody who works in a happy airline), or do u discuss new opportunities and job offers to escape this commuting contract?

In this job environment? Yes we all are just waiting for United to start hiring again so that we can go back to earning less than a waitress and qualify for food stamps

I'll accept your earlier beer invitation as long as we do not talk about this paid hobby of ours, deal?