PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Initial call to ATC from light aircraft
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2002, 22:20
Romeo Romeo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Initial call to ATC from light aircraft

The CAA RT book tells you that your initial call to ATC should include the service you're requesting, and the next call should include all sorts of stuff such as heading and turning point. I have to admit, I don't really follow this. I do my best to keep my calls as short as possible, especially to busy ATC's.

I always get the ATIS first so I can be on the correct pressure. My initial call is something like 'Blah Approach G-ABCD', then when I get the 'Pass you message' response my next call usually goes like 'G-ABCD Cessna 150, Tatenhill to Oxford, currently 5 miles to the south east of Lichfield at 2500 ft on 1023 with information Mike, request Flight Information Service'.

Does ATC need to know what type of service I require in the first contact so they can write it on different strips? One thing I don't say is whether I'm VFR or IFR - should I? The other thing which some pilot say is 'squawking 7000' to inform ATC that they have a transponder - should I say this as well. Has anyone else any comments about my RT technique?