PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying under Thames bridges
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2010, 20:48
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As for " loving to see & hat's off " etc, re. Flying a Hunter through Tower Bridge, it's probably a schoolboy taunt but I'll bite.

The chap carrying it out was Al Pollock, his reason being a personal protest about the way defence cuts were going.

I happen to think he was being selfishly stupid, risking a lot of lives on the bridge who were not involved in his argument...

If you visit Tangmere, West Sussex, Military Aviation Museum they have a 'simulator' or two with this 'Tower Bridge' program ( sic ) ready to go, at the risk of no-one - which is about how I'd have suggested the esteemed Mr.Pollack should have done it, even if he'd had to wait a few years !

As it was I received a lot of flak from 1960's pilots saying " grand job "; in fact considering bridge & aircraft span it's not grand at all, but risking a lot of unwilling participants - but no-one even tried to defend the figuring in of people on the bridge etc.

I will not be replying to this mail, and any sub-heroic replies will be up to you to determine their degree of madness !

DZ