PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB Recommends Airlines Routinely Monitor CVR's
Old 25th Feb 2010, 15:18
Squawk7777

Location: formally Alamo battleground, now the crocodile with palm trees!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

S7777
You are talking BS.
Downloading and deciphering CVRs takes man-hours and job-orders.
In any decent a/l these job-orders (MAINT entries on the TLP) will be kept on file for a while.
I recently had a meet with my CP over a young "protected" but under-performing FO. The boss had ordered the tape to be removed as I stood accused of verbal abuse, but did not have it deciphered as he would have needed a valid excuse to do so... And, of course, he didn't have one.
Still I support the monitoring below 10000' as it will definitely help improve safety.
I'm afraid you're the one talking BS. With the digital FDRs it is nothing more than a few keystrokes on the computer and a cable hooked up to the airplane's CVR to listen to the last couple of hours. Who cares about man-hours if maintenance is on salary and watches repeats of wheel of fortune on the graveyard shift? You have obviously never taken a look behind the screen what's going on. Management can be really creative when it comes to paperwork (or the lack of it!). This is not much about the 10000' sterile rule but more an intrusion of your freedom of speech at work (if there's such a thing).