PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FTE Flybe/MPL 2010
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2010, 13:40
excrab

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Ben,

All though not directly related to the thread, I hope you have a back up plan that doesn't just just rely on being in the flybe hold pool.

Over the last seven or eight years flybe was, to a large extent a "training airline", pilots would join, do a few years on the dash 8, unfreeze their ATPL (or get a bit of command time if they had the hours), and then be off to the RHS of a jet with the likes of Monarch, Easy, Thompson fly etc.

That route, with the down turn in the industry and the growth of flexi-crew has effectively now stopped. I left them in 2006 and the month I left they had 30 resignations - at the time that was about ten percent of their pilot workforce in one month. Now, with sixty something turboprops and fifteen embraers, no where else for dash 8 captains to go outside of the company, and training appointments - because of the huge jump in pay - now being dead mans shoes, it is unlikely that they will need thirty pilots in a year.

They have a vested interest in the MPL scheme graduates and will almost certainly take them first. At the risk of upsetting you (and the majority of the rest of the low houred fATPL who read this) I think they are correct. In my opinion the Colgan Q400 crash would not have happened if the F/O had been through an MPL scheme on the Q400 sim, as the greater familiarity with the aircraft and it's systems would have helped in recognising the problems that were occuring.

However, that isn't the point. The important thing is to make sure there is something else you could do. Why not call the people in charge of recruitment and see if they would accept your doing an FI course as meeting the currency requirements. Once you had done it (if you can stretch to funding it) you can keep current whilst instructing, improve your own standards and skills, and also gain hours towards the time when you might be of interest to other operators as well as to flybe.