PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Not another Norfolk Island Thread!
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2010, 07:58
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't believe RVSM was or is an issue too much in this case. Not being RVSM approved doesn't mean you can't fly higher than 28K here in Oz for Eg it just means you can't expect to go higher unless the airway is clear of conforming RVSM A/C.
I still believe (& this is just a personal opinion) the end result of this underwater excursion was due commercial pressure but it remains to be seen in what form. Was there time constraints, where there fuel problems IE obtaining more fuel, remember where talking about a Pacific Is. here corruption/cooperation or lack thereof could be rife at some places.
If there where some issues with not using New Cal (the French CASA can be very tough) as an ALT then the flight perhaps should have not taken off until it could be conducted without the need to hold an ALT such as New Cal. Obviously (well to me anyway) it appears to be boiling down to not having full tanks on departure is the basis of this whole mess. the final report will indeed be very interesting reading to some commercial operators for sure.
As said before they all survived, good now lets learn from it, something we do all the time in aviation, learn by our mistakes!

Wmk2