PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Local pilots fly off the handle at expat perks
Old 24th Feb 2010, 22:52
EXEZY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see that Nick Rhodes is quoted in the SCMP today, he says that the housing allowance has reduced from 100% of pilots being eligible in 1988 to 46% currently and that the expat housing allowance should not continue indefinately! He says that the trend of reducing housing allowance in percentage terms of HK based pilots should continue.
It is obvious then that management and the AOA are working together. They have used the LEP'S as a pawn in this game, appealing to the greedy nature of a few vocal members in this group. It seems greed and Hong Kong go hand in hand. The race card is pathetic at best, considering that a few of the cadets are westerners themselves. It's also guaranteed to drum up media interest and hence the interest of the Hong Kong people who will be aghast at this percieved persecution of this particular group.
As the housing policy is up for renewal at the end of this year, I feel very concerned at the implications of this for us all. It is quite obvious what will be put forward, a much reduced cash allowance, no doubt based on rank, cadet or non cadet. If this happens watch the flood gates open, I believe people will flee from this place like the proverbial sinking ship. This will be the legacy of the greed of a few people, who no doubt would probably complain if their housing policy kitty was dipped into to pay the people on the London, Sydney, Vancouver, Adelaide, Melbourne, etc bases for exactly the same priviledge which they now contend to be their's. I'm not saying that all LEP'S are implicated in this, I know because I've flown with a few who think the whole thing is mad.