PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are helicopters so expensive to charter?
Old 24th Feb 2010, 21:42
birrddog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I do find interesting though, is the higher availability of aircraft and lower prices of light turbines in England and South Africa compared to the USA where they are made, and who don't have the currency fluctuations.

I can hire a 407 for half the price in SA for example compared to the US, and in England 206's are available probably 20% less (roughly based on my investigations) than the US. Similar experiences for other types..

My take on the situation is there are more privately held aircraft in England and South Africa, or aircraft in between contracts, and the additional utilization is a "bonus", so they can afford to offer them for lower rates.

The insurance requirements for pilot experience also tends to be more in line with what a SFH pilot would have, compared to the US, home of big insurance and law suits.

(SA would also have lower labour, hangarage, etc, though that does not explain England, nor the large difference in pricing).

I have also found you tend to be able to use the aircraft for longer periods abroad, than compared to here (e.g. take it away for a few days), making it much more practical than burning money in a circuit or local area flight where the aircraft has to be ferried back and forth when you are not using it (adding to the flight hours billed).