PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety pilot's?
Thread: Safety pilot's?
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2010, 21:12
Don Coyote

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Usedtofly said,

There are a few operators of single pilot a/c who fly with a second
pilot in the r/h seat to ease the minds of the passengers
Would the passengers feel better if they knew that one of the pilots had neither been properly trained to operate the aircraft nor held a valid licence to operate the aircraft multi-pilot? I assume you wore uniform complete with gold bars to ensure that the passengers thought they had two qualified pilots as flight crew.

Also, how could you increase your piston time unless you were qualified on the class/type or flying with an instructor?

Did you hold a PPL or a CPL when you were paid for each flight?

As this type of flying does not (can not afford to) generally pay r/h
seat pilots what is the harm in flying in the r/h seat unpaid
No problem at all if he is properly trained and qualified, I am sure that all operators would prefer their pilots to come free of charge.

Regarding the matter of multi crew operation a 'safety pilot' is no substitute. Multi crew requires both pilots to be rated (if need be) and operate to company SOP's and comply with the AOC. Simply placing a second pilot in the r/h seat will not do.
I totally agree.

Sorry usedtofly, the above is not meant as a dig at you; I just can't get my head around how Safety Pilots have been allowed. I wonder if their use would continue if the passengers were aware of the situation.