PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Falklands / The Malvinas - (again?)
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2010, 17:34
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Falklands

A few points from someone who's never been to the Falklands, but was periphally involved in 1982, read a LOT of accounts from various points of view of it since;

A, Has any intel' picked up one way or another the Argentinians ' suping up ' their sonar capabilities, as our sub's remain their major problem ? We ( bystanders unfortunately - better to send in a git like me than a young lad with his whole life ahead of him, and I'm sure a lot of Ppruners would agree ) willl not know untill 20 years or so...

B, I presume ( a very dangerous word ) that we have land based anti-air kit of some sort there, I've been involved with some and it was not called Rapier...Though have flown in an aircraft during a demo' being tracked by Rapier - I had a casual stroll beforehand to ensure all the missiles were marked inert - afterwards everyone reckoned we having been locked on were the safest aircraft for miles !

C, It may sound a bit liberal and wimpy, but why not give the Argentinians a cut of the deal re. the oil, ( how much is not my dept. ) and it may bring stability & friendship from that nation, with a huge ' rippling ' continental effect before the U.S. size 20 boots get there ?

D, Why not give a contract - relative MOD peanuts now, and outstanding if the oil thing picks up - for a builder to make decent housing & amenities for the Islanders - though hardly a builder, the project would appeal to me and no doubt countless others - before anyone says it, I'm not including sheep, even though I'm, half Scot, half Welsh, born & lived in England.

Of course all this and more has been thought over long ago, by politicians of every flavour and even worse, accountants.

Last edited by Double Zero; 24th Feb 2010 at 17:48.