PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should Examiners have to tolerate abusive candidates?
Old 24th Feb 2010, 13:34
windriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Failing a candidate is an unpleasant process at the best of times - and whilst I accept there may be some degree of variation in thresholds I've never seen any evidence that examiners set out to fail candidates or set the bar so high that failure becomes an inevitability through practice or expectation.

Most of us will have failed something somewhere along the line, but we dust ourselves down and carry on.

For PPL students though things can get a little more complicated as one can never be sure they really undertsand their performance requirements on test and previous statements put to them about "being a natural" - "ready for test" and "you'll walk it" can muddy the waters.

Most people take a test failure on the chin and see the process as a necessary evil.

For sure a few will mutter about it, and some try to soft talk the examiner post flight.

In my experience though the real hard nuts are the ones that can`t handle the perceived loss of face. Almost impossible to prove of course but a trait nevertheless that could manifest itself in any number of safety critical situations in the future.