PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Falklands / The Malvinas - (again?)
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2010, 10:21
Hymie65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Escalating diplomatic row?

Re: BarbiesBoyfriend point;

My own judgement, however, is that the Argentinians will do nothing.
See this in todays Buenos Aires Herald;

Buenos Aires Herald
Buenos Aires Herald

I suggest that they are doing something, and it's happening right now! What at first would appear to be a rather low(ish) key diplomatic affair that requires some face-to-face discussions to put to bed quickly, will quite easily escalate once they have the full backing of States in the region, including Chavez.

I agree with previous statements in this thread regarding the current economic status in Argentina and that in order to secure another term in the elctions next year that President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner is willing to venture into a risky game with Brown whilst garnering a lot of support for the sovereignty claims from other LA and Caribbean states. And we all know that Brown is a puppy when it comes to foreign policy, he just hasn't the guts to stand up strong against this sort of situation. And I wouldn't trust Ainsworth as far as I could throw him (see last night's abject performance on Newsnight!).

I'd also like to understand what the US may do if this situation does escalate? If Bush was still in the chair then I could see him getting his hands dirty, especially as this really is all about natural resources. Obama will go down the diplomatic route entirely (as this situation should be and not miltary action). But as they will not want to be putting themselves into direct conflict with LA states then inevitably they will expect UK to go it alone.