PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF New Look Quarters
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2010, 09:52
philrigger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there is something fishy about this film. I lived in quarters with my father from 1948 and still work on a RAF camp today. I cannot ever remember airmans married quarters, even those designated as WO quarters, with garage attached. Occoasionally there would be a block of garages nearby and in the case of Cranwell in the 1950s there was also a hangar on the north airfield made available to park cars.

Which reminds me of a tale about the station police WO. A man call Edwards. Following reports of damage and theft from the vehicles in the hangar he thought he would catch the culprits red-handed. One night he climbed up onto the outside of the hangar roof in order to look through the (skylights. Unfortunatley the roof gave way and he fell onto a vehicle below. Miraculously he survived without serious injury except a very red face and we kids all took the micky out of him via his kids at school.

I know that some airmen live in officers quarters with garages today but they are still officers quarters.)