PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Biafra
Thread: Biafra
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2010, 09:38
biafranbaby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
French Navy Neptunes to Biafra?

Four Wings makes an interesting recollection of French Navy Neptunes ferrying arms from Cotonou to Biafra. As the author of "Shadows", I spent many years (on and off) researching the airlift and gained access to many sources in France as well as speaking with many of the aircrew who took part. I never came across the Neptune story and would dearly love to know more. Avgas Dionosaur makes some very kind comments about the book and it is shame that the publisher went belly-up although I did manage to secure a stock beforehand.
You are correct, of course, that after the conflict Uli has a dismembered DC-4. This was one of Jack Malloch's DC-4s that came to grief when it turned onto Uli strip to take off - in the wrong direction and simply ran out of runway!
When we were making "Jesus Christ Airlines" we made a speedy visit to film the former Uli strip and amazingly there were still bits of engine in the adjacent bush - and that was 30 years after the event. The war museum at Umuahia, however, contains a fascinating collection of aircraft and relics. We also spent a considerable number of hours interviewing Hank Warton in Miami but in the end none of that was ever used in the documentary because the Miami setting was considered overtly opulent for a film about Third World conflict and poverty. Interestingly the film rights have since been acquired by a leading British producer and maybe one day the story will appear in Hollywood format. Who knows?
Meanwhile do tell me more about the French Neptunes; call me on [email protected]