PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety pilot's?
Thread: Safety pilot's?
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2010, 07:48
usedtofly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps 'safety pilot' is the issue?

I think the issue's raised here might be influenced by the title 'Safety Pilot'

There are a few operators of single pilot a/c who fly with a second pilot in the r/h seat to ease the minds of the passengers. This is usually at least a PPL or more likely a CPL. I did this myself for a year or so whilst instructing and I gained a useful insight into public transport operations. On empty sectors I was allowed to fly P1 and therefore increase my piston twin time. All of this was very useful indeed and in my case I was fortunate enough to get paid for each flight.

As this type of flying does not (can not afford to) generally pay r/h seat pilots what is the harm in flying in the r/h seat unpaid? The pilot gains valuable experience which will help him further his career (in my case I was offered a full time position within the same company).

Regarding the matter of multi crew operation a 'safety pilot' is no substitute. Multi crew requires both pilots to be rated (if need be) and operate to company SOP's and comply with the AOC. Simply placing a second pilot in the r/h seat will not do.

I fly a B200 that is always operated with two type rated pilots and it is not allowed to fly single crew on public transport under any circumstance.

So then.......I say cut Wodka some slack and let him get on with it

UTF