PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Poll: BALPA's Performance - Vote
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2010, 20:05
4star

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BALPA MEMBER - NOT IMPRESSED. Employed

To all those who say "Shhh, don't question the value/effectiveness of BALPA it will only make things worse..." I say we question it because we care. We care about our profession and we care about BALPA. We want it to not just secure the current members but recover those who have left and encourage new members.

To those who say "listen, you don't get it. It's a members led organisation, speak to your CC..." I say what about all those who are unemployed/work for a company where the union is not recognised/ have been forced to find work abroad etc.

To those who say " you have unrealistic expectations of what BALPA can do...." I say let BALPA tell me what is possible and what isn't. Let BALPA explain to me that at the very least it understands the national issue's and it has considered the options. Where BALPA has a weakness in an area that it has then liaised with other unions/ taken legal advise/ looked at using public relations experts etc etc etc. At the very least acknowledge the damn issue's and communicate with us more.

To those who say "well the current system works just dandy in my airline..." I say perhaps - but only in respect of internal matters. With respect that is simply not good enough. Your company does not operate in an economic bubble. While you have been protecting your T & C's others have had there's reduced. Those companies may be in a position to take business away from you. You could end up with the best T & C's of any airline thats failed so far.

I will stick with them but I think they could do much more.