PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety pilot's?
Thread: Safety pilot's?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2010, 18:56
Sepp

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, certainly I would have thought that anyone likely to be required to manipulate the controls of an a/c ought to be trained to operate the beast in question as required by type or class rating rules, as appropriate... and if operating multi-crew, that ought to include MCC, etc.

As regards the B200 - I'm not entirely sure there is such a thing as a "B200 type rating", for the 'safety' pilot* to hold... Obviously, SPA turbo-jets and a/c subject to a type rating require two qualified pilots under OPS, but is the B200 not an SPA, operated under a class rating? If so, why does it require a second pilot any more than does a Seneca or PA31? SPA and multi-crew ops thereof are, as you will see, not my sphere of expertise but I understand your point re. operating under PT vs CAT. There are some important differences in the two sets of regs that can easily catch the unwary - that, however, is a whole different subject!

* I still say this is a sap to the unworthy.. you are either in the constituted flight crew in which case you are P1 or P2, or you ain't, so you're a passenger or cabin crew!