PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - arrogance
Thread: arrogance
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2010, 16:50
B47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I plan to meet up with friends at Quiberon airfield in June. I've read all the posts and I know that Quiberon's AFIS has the notation (FR) on the airfield chart. I know and respect that I should speak French to visit this airfield but all the warnings are not to try and get by with poor schoolboy french and a brush up of RT phrases. I'm not arrogant about speaking english - just sadly incompetent in french.

So, if I take the info as it stands I can't visit this airfield. My friends are staying at the hotel on the airfield boundary and there isn't an alternative airfield.

Quiberon seems to have accommodated several large fly-ins with visitors from all over Europe so it's a bit hard to believe that all the visiting pilots were proficient in french R/T.

Do I stay away and cancel the whole trip or is English tolerated in practice? I've emailed the airfield to ask if I'm welcome but no reply as yet.

Any advice, particularly from anyone who has visited this airfield, would be very much appreciated.