PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Falklands / The Malvinas - (again?)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2010, 15:01
tangoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Political engineering

I don’t often entertain conspiracy theories, but you can call me a cynic if you like or go and read a few history books, That Sweet Enemy, is one I would thoroughly recommend.

Relations between UK and Argentina have been improving over the years
The Argentinean population needs galvanizing to perhaps divert civil unrest
Argentina will probably default on its loans
It could really do with it own natural resources outside of the rain forest

We are likely to have the backing of the UN, unconditional surrender and all that
The US will be on our side but will push for a peaceful resolution
The Labour party, whatever today’s polls show are heading for a fall, how big?
What saved Maggie’s government in the 80’s
What also saved the forces and re-justified to a skeptical public and cabinet in the need for investment in the forces
What frankly put the great back in Britain, temporarily anyway from the doldrums of the 70’s

Rising tensions, motions to war at the public’s and our level anyway, but all calm at the top, even arrogance displayed by the UKGov.

If Brown can rescue this i.e. saving face and the lions share now without spilling blood whilst appreciating his short comings in defence planning and then his Argentinean opposite number has ‘come to an agreement’ over his loans, ‘bigging up’ Brown again and got concessions over oil revenues, having got all the right noises from South American leaders with little to lose anyway.

“Whilst not appreciating the negotiating tactics used, we understand difficult times call for difficult measures, boot other foot etc and therefore no amount of oil is worth a single drop of our forces blood!” can they then say or that “its not all about oil”

Then what a brilliant piece of political engineering!

Who said that politicians were good at quoting history but so bad at learning from it? Might have been me and I hope I was wrong!

If I was right, then how will the RAF feel about going up against the Flankers? No specific details needed!