PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The use of OEM operating systems. A very interesting site.
Old 23rd Feb 2010, 09:31
P.Pilcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I must admit that I feel that if software manufacturers want to write long and complex rules as to who is licenced to install/use their software, then they should use their software to enforce those rules.
About nine months ago I decided to replace my 8 year old desktop with an updated version. As I had no wish to use Vista, I decided to build my own. Accordingly I acquired a mobo, dual core CPU, 3 Gb of ram and a HDD. I put it all together into a new case and installed the CD/DVD writer from my old machine together with its perfectly serviceable 80 Gb HDD. On switching on, much to my suprise it worked and requested a bootable disk in the CD/DVD drive! Accordingly I put the "rescue" disc I received with my old computer in the slot, the new HDD was formatted and XP professional (without even service pack 2) was installed. For obvious reasons I denied it internet access, and then proceeded to validate it. This had to be done by telephone - which is totally automated. Accordingly I entered the generated code to be told that this was not acceptable and would I push the button on the validation screen. I did and the XP validation code from its label on the computer case was requested. This was entered from the old computer case, a new code was generated and this was accepted, so I could validate this copy of XP. I have no guilty concience over this. I have paid a licence fee for its use when I bought my old, now dismantled, computer. There was no time limit implicit in the license and that copy is now functioning on a single computer which contains bits of the computer on which it was originally installed, but this may be contrary to Microsoft's complex license conditions.

Interestingly, I had to re-install XP pro on my wife's desktop a couple of weeks ago. The machine was supplied without a rescue disk so I used my old one. When the validation screen eventually appeared, I noted that I was instructed not to press the validation button unless instructed to do so by the microsoft operative. I entered the generated code over the telephone and was promptly informed that my copy of XP was pirated and that I should visit the microsoft website where I would be instructed how to (presumably pay) to validate it. Despite not being instructed to push the button this time, I did so, the XP validation number from the case was requested which I entered and a new code was therefore generated. Another telephone call to microsoft (a free number) was then made, the new code was given which was accepted and the copy of XP quickly validated.
Now, nobody could complain that this re-installation was not completely "kosher" yet Microsoft tried to get me to pay for its validation! Has there been a slight policy shift over the last 9 months?

P.P.