PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Local pilots fly off the handle at expat perks
Old 23rd Feb 2010, 07:52
Liam Gallagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Racial Discrimination Ordinance RDO

Whilst I have no issue with any group within the pilot body trying to improve their lot, I do have an issue with how it is achieved. The ends, do not on this occasion, justify the means.

PW has quite rightly tried to build a better relationship with senior management, notably TT, with limited success. I do not see how accusing TT and/or the company he controls of engaging in racial discrimination advances his chances of forming any working relationship. To make this claim you would have to absolutely certain of your grounds.

I would recommend PW (or anyone else advancing this argument) bangs Racial Discrimination Ordinance into google and read some of the commentary. The HK Govt's advice to employers is illuminating. Based on presumably s13 of the Ordinance, it would seem the payment of expat terms does not constitute a breach, so long as the skills required are not available in HK.

The AOA's FAQ's would have us believe this is a convenient loophole, when it seems the RDO specifically allows for the payment of expat terms. I think the AOA are spinning this one a bit hard.