PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jammed Elevator on takeoff B737
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2010, 05:54
skyeuropecapt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The drill states “overpower …”, “use maximum force … both pilots …” etc. There is no mention of using trim at this stage, and even when suggested, it is only used to offload control forces, not to provide control (also given as a table in the training manual).

Safetepee: I FULLY agree with you, it may have been a sim problem, I wasnt able to overpower it hence i gave controls to thE FO (also a captain).He wasnt able to break the jam either.So at that point the only way to lift the nose would have been by using stabiliser trim ,(definitively not by changing flaps setting as mentionned above as this aint a cessna trying to make its screen eight by a couple of feet )and since i am no test pilot nor was i ever trained for such a failure,with a non balanced field, i at that moment decided to reject.
If boeing states that pilots should avoid a go around if at all possible makes me think how tricky that could be....even with limited elevator control.

Once again, the sim was a basic rush of all kind of failures with no sense whatsorever,just to apparently warm me up for what was a well conducted,planned profile of multiple failures and manual skills testing by the state CAA examinor.

I understand and agree with all of you concerning the purpose of sims,sop training,failures which make sense (especially multiple ones..)

An elevator 'check' at 80 kts was mentioned and i somehow think its a good idea but that only includes a movement of the control column from down to the neutral position,,not to up.as that would be quite non standard.
Boeing states that forward pressure control column is a not a standard procedure,(ie not for every t/o),just in case of crosswind and a if the runway is wet or slippery conditions.

Once again, the jammed was not breakable, wether its a sim problem or me lacking gym practice..i dont know...so id like to hear from some who practiced it during takeoff in sim and how successfull it turned out to be until i have the chance to practice it myself.

regards