PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class One Medical And Migraine
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2002, 12:58
P.O.M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile You Don't Need To Lie On Medicals

I have suffered from headaches for years which I suspected to be migrains.
When I've gone for my medical I have mentioned them but the MD's have said unless I have had them specificaly diagnosed as migraines they are just bad headaches.

People have a tendancy as to use the word migrain to describe a bad headache, when it's not a migrain and this can get people in trouble inadvertantly.

Last week I finaly went to my GP who has now diagnosed them as migrains. They are where the blood vessels in your neck start to contract (this is where you can start to feel one come on)restricting blood flow to the brain. Then after about 20-30mins the vessels start to expand again, blood returns with a rush thus causing the pain in the neck and behind the eyes.
You may notice that if you exert yourself with a migrain you will get the thobbing and pounding in the front and around the eyes, this is again because of the blood rush from exerting yourself. So never have nooky with a migrain....

I will now have to check with my aviation medico aout the medication I have been given.

The above is what my GP described to me to help me understand how and why. Some people have triggers, chocky and coffee are a couple, my GP gets them if he drinks beer (no, not as a hangover ) so the poor sod con only drink imported stuff....

Cheers,
P.O.M