PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Axe Man of Apia
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2010, 21:45
flyby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there Centarus,

Interesting muse , there are a lot of very valid observations for all new FO's and Captain's.
I would like to point out that thanks to robust sop's some of these unspoken grievances can be mitigated and thank god for that.

One observation i would make after reading and digesting your post is that although there is plenty of wisdom there also maybe a overtone of ambitious
cockpit gradient, for example thanking the captain for a landing or sector is a bit steep. As a captain who clawed his way through the ranks enduring years of personality differences and similarities i would never expect recognition for the sector unless i gave it up for the other blokes recency or similar .

Lets face it it is no longer the captains right to fly all the sectors otherwise half the crew would be unable to operate due lack of sector and approach recency , especially in a long haul environment.

As Captain i felt no malice when addressed by my name or rank , but use wisdom when referring to your peers as mate.
I never had to assume control for a landing in crosswinds or stormy weather
i preferred to assist the FO in conducting the approach , tactfully of course,
this is when your captaincy is used assist your follow colleague in learning the ropes so to speak encouraging profession development. How else is he supposed to learn , there is only so much watching you can do , the best learning is doing.

Overall a great post though and i entirely agree on your last statement on how your crew members impression of you will stick.

Last edited by flyby; 23rd Feb 2010 at 06:17.