PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - YAWS re-incarnation
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2010, 19:44
angelacr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steadfastly YAWS

I can understand not wishing to be cheated by an application that doesn't do as it says.

Let me assure everyone and remind you all that I'm not just around to make a quick buck. YAWS has been serving aviation data on line for free for over 7 years. In that time I've spent countless pounds on connection charges, equipment replacement and electricity. A 100w each and every hour of the year amounts to quite a number of kWhrs that I've paid so you can have free aviation data where and when you need it.

I was persuaded last year to ask for donations to support the online YAWS offering. I received a grand total of 120 pounds mainly from VPAC & LAA members for which I'm grateful. But I was exploring the possibility of putting YAWS in a server farm and hoped donations might meet the annual repeating cost. The experiment failed for whatever reasons people have for not contributing to something they benefit from. But YAWS online will continue unpaid for. I'll pick up your tab. You still will have that facility free from me for some indeterminate time yet.

So if you resent paying money for a service, forget Androids and YAWS SuperPhone, just use YAWS SmartPhone for free back online at yaws.mobi in early April. On the other hand if you want an application that is independent of the YAWS web server and is impervious from YAWS's unacceptable downtime episode this year - then get an Android. Or get an iPhone if you wish - I don't care - and use someone else's app - but you really will be happier with an Android.

I think I'm making a rather modest charge for what I consider is the best aviation weather app currently available for Android. And yes I've looked at all the free ones and the pay-for ones. IMHO they do not compete. One even ran my battery flat making endless calls to its advertising centre every couple of seconds! If that's what you want - feel free!

My reputation with YAWS should speak for itself but if anyone feels aggrieved with YAWS Superphone not meeting their expectations I promise to refund their fee I receive. And shame on you for thinking otherwise!

Angela

Last edited by angelacr; 22nd Feb 2010 at 20:01.