PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - YAWS re-incarnation
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2010, 15:14
eharding

A little less conversation,
a little more aviation...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding the YAWS application: I'd like to see a demonstration of what I'm getting - either as a limited Free version or by an associated website showing screenshots of the application in action - before parting company with my £10.

Whilst a tenner is laughably cheap in terms of desktop flight planning software, the fact remains that charging that amount in a market where 95% of the applications are either free, or retail at a couple of quid, makes it look very expensive in comparison, particularly as all of the information displayed is presumably in the public domain in the first place. I note the corresponding posting about YAWS on another aviation forum I frequent disappeared without trace, at a guess because it fell foul of the advertising rules.

Regarding the Android vs. iPhone debate: personally, I think that before setting out to develop an application, the first question to ask yourself is "can I achieve the performance and UI I want using HTML5, CSS and Javascript", and in 80% if the cases the answer will be yes - at which point, the vast majority of your application logic will be portable across both platforms when delivered as a web-app. The HTML5 standard already provides for geolocation services and SQL data persistence, as well as offline application support meaning that once downloaded, the application can continue to operate without network connectivity. If you *really* need the application to be distributed through the relevant application markets, then both the iPhone and Android SDKs make it relatively painless to wrap a web-app as a native application, via the UIWebView and WebView components.

Both the iPhone and Android SDKs have their drawbacks - the iPhone principally of the ball-ache of requiring a Mac for native app development and the vagaries of the App Store, and Android because of the Google influence - in that nothing is every *really* finished and stabilised before they're off onto the next shiny thing, and that Google's concept of support is to direct you to a forum full of other people looking for support, in the hope that collectively someone, somewhere will know the answer to the question you're asking.