PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jammed Elevator on takeoff B737
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2010, 14:27
skyeuropecapt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to all who have replied so far.
I will keep in mind the 80 kts 'elevator check' as an extra chance to spot such unrealistic but possible problem.
Reason why i didnt 'feel it' at 80 kts is because i normally dont apply elevator pressure on take off unless there is substantial crosswind.

Centaurus: I am not the instructor, and it was a training without debriefing just prior to an airline sim check for a job.

Safetypee:I agree with you as the rules are clear about reject or not.It just happened that i was physically unable to lift the aircraft and was caught by surprise,(first time i had that in the sim).
In the few seconds i had,i knew how difficult it would be to safely lift the aircraft (there was no movement at all of the column...at least on mine,not even a dead band..)and knowing how boeing highly suggest to avoid a go around with a jammed elevator, i decided to reject.

the instructor told me to rotate using the trim which i did, about 100 feet ,from behind my seat he decided to show me how the trim works and the aircraft started to pitch in a way that he decided to freeze the sim and start a new exercice.

I am not here to discuss what instructors should do or not ,,,just to have an idea if someone may have done such a takeoff with only stabilizer trim in (no elevator at all) in the sim.

Since i got the job, i will ask in my next opc the chance to practice this exercise and rotate with the trim only and see how it goes....just out of interest...