PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shenzhen Airlines
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2010, 07:19
clrblu22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to add some information for those of you considering Shenzhen Airlines or any other airline here in China.

Here at Shenzhen there has been a some Simulator and Line check failures. I personally can attest that, in one particular case, a guy was singled out and failed on a check-ride because he didn't let the CAAC inspector ( a Shenzhen pilot) smoke on his jumpseat some weeks prior to his PC. This WAS NOT a whining pilot but one that has been flying the line here for years and has done it exceptionally. He consequently paid for another sim check and CAAC requires it to be done by the same guy that fails you. On the re-check, the inspector (if you choose to call him that) didn't even repeat the "so called" failed event. Of course the guy passed and is now considering leaving.

Another guy just failed his line check because he selected an altitude (while his FO was doing something) and selected V/S down before the cross cockpit verrification. This "inspector" told the Captain that he passed. So, he continued to fly the next 2 legs with the inspector. When they landed (after they were back in domicile) the inspector suddenly changed his mind and failed him. I believe that youi go on half pay until you fly some line checks with a Chinese instructor then take another line check.

Another guy just had a hard landing (2.7-2.8 g's according to the QAR on the Boeing). His 500 hour first officer was flying; the aircraft encountered a sinker on short final and the captain appropriately took over. Again, this guy payed for all "3" checkrides to get back onto flying status. (This was during the time when the major shareholder of Shenzhen airlines was arrested and took to Beijing; shortly after that one other corrupt Shenzhen management puke quit). Because of this, every so called "safety agency" in china wanted to get a piece of this guy before allowing him to fly again.

Another guy was hijacked by his passengers for 8 hours ( I believe) on the ground. He was held against his will along with the other crewmembers. I've read this guys report to Shenzhen Airlines and can tell you that he did everything that you and I would have done. Shenzhen Airlines ignored his radio calls to Dispatch for help, the ground refused to help, the police at the Boan airport told him that it was Shenzhen airlines's problem. After everything was over, shenzhen swept the whole thing under the table and nothing was ever heard again about it.

I could write until my fingers bleed about the different maintenance issues, corruption and damned politics that it takes to make a living here. It wears on you till you feel like you want to strangle your F/O before you even brief him.

The Chinese are an oppressed society, pilots are no different! We are subject to all their messed up laws (or "guidelines" as they call them) and must turn a blind eye to their cutting corners and coercion . Try to change things here and you'll get a name for yourself.

This place is amazingly incompetent in every aspect of aviation and I personally can not wait to leave. If you need a job, certainly take it if they offer but don't get to comfortable. China and Asia for that matter, is corrupt on a scale that I can not covey; for that you must fly here to know.

To Peoplemover,

If your experiences here are good then my hat off to you and I hope that it continues to be that for you and your family. A sad fact of flying in Asia is that good pilots fail checkrides too and sometimes the failures are not legitimate. This fact is not felt more than here at Shenzhen. The first guy I was talking about (failed sim ride) lost one months pay ($11,750) and 30 days vacation. Add to that the sim cost and worry. The Chinese are very vindictive and if you bruise their pride, you WILL get burned.

Your comment "I can guarantee you that they don't violate CAAC regulations". This is a flat out ignorant statement (it doesnt mean that you are supid just that you dont know what you are talking about). I can personally attest to (and other pilots as well) to illegally scheduled trips that bust duty and rest regulations. I've personally had to call and be quit adamant about rescheduling my trips to meet CAAC regulations. Might I also remind you that the Chinese do not count simulator time for a PC, Recurrent nor pilot meetings as rest! If you haven't been scheduled for a 4 day after 3 days in the sim yet then I say you need to wait before making such definitive comments.

Where is this "Grey area" you talk about. The CAAC regulations are quit clear and a blatant cut and paste of the FAA regulations with a few twists.

Whats irritating to me is comments that lack facts....

Can we still be friends

Last edited by clrblu22; 22nd Feb 2010 at 11:35. Reason: adding text