Old 22nd Feb 2010, 04:47
rottenray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jox writes:

Please do not shoot the messenger !
What? That? Here on PPruNe??

Seriously, you are right.

I think there are at least two other factors holding back:

-- Airlines consider flight data to be proprietary unless they need to surrender it for an investigation. To some extent, this is true as it might reveal business conditions such as weight, et cetera.
-- Pilots might see instant reporting of their actions on-deck in as an invasion of privacy in their workplace. To some extent, this too is true as it would tend to report every "not by the numbers" action on a crew's part.

I have a great respect for pilots. They have transported my fat butt for approximately 100,000 miles and managed to return it to earth intact each and every time.

And I understand that pilots are already under a great deal of "normal" scrutiny the rest of us are just catching up with. I worked for companies during the 1980s and 1990s which didn't have surveillance cams pointed at me; now, virtually everyone does.

So I can understand their point as well - "we are already heavily monitored."

But in some cases, real-time streaming of data might help solve enigmas or save lives.

I think it will boil down to how such a change is implemented in the air transit culture, which has a wide variety of "attitudes" contained within it.

RR