PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2010, 21:20
Jox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I intend to offer no commentary on the why’s and where not’s of much of the pontification contained within this thread as this is not my field. The technology to do much of what has been discussed on this forum is already currently available. I have been involved in a working group looking at this particular technology for a period of time.

Video, bi-directional audio and data can already be streamed live to the ground independently of existing avionic systems and may be combined with a QAR in order that real time flight data can be downloaded and recorded in real time should any customer demand that they want the system configured to do that.

This equipment utilises inmarsat, which already has over 8000 aircraft relying on global in-flight connectivity through its use. Inmarsat is the most widely used satellite operator in the airline industry and were the first to provide global safety services that comply with the requirements of the International Civil Aviation Organisation. The iridium satellite constellation was unable to provide the required functionality demanded by this technology.

Narrowband technology makes the satellite cost much less expensive and its transmission through a stable albeit unique algorithm accounts for not only its encrypted security but permits a downlink speed of 400kbps. However the number of systems that can use a particular inmarsat satellite at any one time is not open ended and relates entirely to the supply and demand. The restriction of inmarsat’s current capabilities is known but something that could be addressed if the demand for such a system was present.

This system is already in use for vehicle borne equipment and was developed for use in military airborne applications where it was found to work extremely well. It was been offered as a potential modern day solution for commercial aviation to work in tandem with existing CVR and FDR technologies which are required through international legislation, it is entirely a matter for each customer which available requirement their business wishes to make use of.

As with any new technology, the cost of development to have it certified for an STC is expensive. The equipment itself would not be cost prohibitive. There is currently very little enthusiasm for this equipment although this may change when the industry picks up again and the need to survive passes in exchange for the need for new development to be introduced to respond to customer demands.

It may be used for many applications due to its versatility and has embedded within it an independent GPS location module which provides an accurate global location whilst in operation.

This will, in years to come, be developed I am sure but without any customer demand and support then the cost of its certification are beyond what the industry would support. The global downtrend has affected many airlines, jobs and their supporting businesses, it is only when growth and stability return that airlines may once again look at new developments and how they may integrate them for the benefit of their business but also for the industry in general.

Sallyann 1234 I acknowledge your expertise in your field, CJ I likewise acknowledge your opinion, I offer this solely as work that has already been undertaken and evaluated by my employer of which I was a part. I have seen and assessed this equipment operating in real time but whilst not publicly reported, it does interest me and I can see a day in the future where we may all likely embrace and use it.

I am sure that if EADS or Boeing were to develop this and offer it as a CRO then its uptake may be better assured but those days are likely some years away. Any change in the requirements demanded by the regulatory authorities is a long way off as the financial impact on those changes would send a shock wave throughout the industry which would be most likely criticised on the grounds of cost.

Please do not shoot the messenger !

Best

Jox

Last edited by Jox; 22nd Feb 2010 at 15:57.