PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - assisting disabled passengers in an emergency
Old 21st Feb 2010, 21:06
SassyPilotsWife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TV, thank you for your post. What you have done is not only ask very important questions, but you've also given these professionals something to think about and place themselves in the position that they don't want to ever be in but now, they have some foresight on it and will hopefully ask more questions or simply know the " plan of action".

What you need to do is ask yourself " what if we are in this situation, how will we handle it ourselves" Reason being is that as grim as it may sound, chances are you will be last ones off and that is not meant in a derrogatory way but in what is called the START system or Universal Triage Response to an MCI and an Emergency Evacuation of an aircraft becomes an MCI ( Mass Casualty Incident) because the resources available are less than the patients ( passengers in this case) that need help.

As a very experienced US Paramedic with not only 911 experience but also experience responding to MCI calls and experience with the MCI command system and FEMA response, it all boils down to saving the most viable people involved. We have to look at it as saving 10 rather than trying to save 1. Without direct training as far as a cabin crew professional I can only vouch that most are trained in the same way and will have the same reactions and response. Here are my recommendations.

First, as any other potential emergency ( especially house fires) is HAVE A PLAN OF ACTION. First of all is pre planning. When making your travel plans, make sure that the airline knows ahead of time any disabilities so that they may place the passenger in the best possible seat available with regard to possible emergency evacuation and possible notification to flight deck crew and cabin crew of this passengers limitations ( same as if your booking a flight for a diabetic who needs a special diet ) Upon check in at the airport, remind the CSA of the physical limiations so that they can notify crew upon check in and modify seat accordingly. This may seem redundant and unnecessary, but just ask those on Sully's flight if they thought their day would wind up in the Hudson. Lastly, notify the CC when you board the flight of any disabilities, especially those that could hinder and/or slow down emergency evacuations and it never hurts to become friends with the passengers next or near to you. I can tell you from experience, when i talk to my fellow neighbors in the cabin and they find out i'm a Paramedic, they have sometimes felt more at ease sitting next to me and have often shared with me any pertinent information such as " dad's a diabetic so if we have an emergency, he has insulin in his bag" . As a Paramedic i prefer sitting in an aisle row ( not for the extra leg room) but to know that if required, i can definitely handle the job and assist the CC upon their delegation and direction. I hope you never have to use this information.