PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parking Brake Release
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2010, 19:40
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The aircraft Commander calls the shots, regardless of the RHS distorted input.
You must be a bundle of laughs to fly with. Do you have shout really loudly so your minions can hear you from way up on your throne?

As for the parking brake, I release with the parking brake with a 'clang', smack my F/O over the head when I want to turn right, stamp my feet for a descent, etc. To the cabin crew, I make a 'T' with my hands and then a 'W' with my fingers for 'white tea'. Then the number of fingers I hold up indicates the number of sugars. I find this keeps all members of my crew in the loop as to the status of most things. I find using phrases like "Parking Brake Released" very ambiguous.

But really, I don't think the CVR needs to have the parking brake release recorded. For most QAR/ACARS equipped aircraft this will be recorded automatically, if not on the FDR as well. The position will also be obvious when something approaching take-off thrust is used to taxi and the aircraft refuses to move. It is the unintentional parking brake release that has to be noticed by everyone. As to how how you should release the brake, if it is important, will be appropriately documented.

PM