PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA emergency landing Barcelona
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2010, 17:21
PierreM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C'mon-PullUP: You've missed the point. The comments were not about the way in which the flight crew handled the in-flight situation - they were more about what happened (or did not happen on the ground) before and after the flight. I'm sure that when the problem occurred during flight, the flight deck crew did exactly what they were required to do.

The aircraft had a temporary partial power system failure before take-off and the pax were told not to worry, all is OK. After take-off, same thing happens again. I'd suggest that is a little unnerving even for experienced pax, as it means the problem was not fixed on the ground and that therefore the crew do not have a 100% understanding of the fault.

It is on the ground that things could have been done better. Sitting in the aircraft, in the dark presumably, with apparently very little or no communications from any of the crew is a real cause for concern. One way to keep passengers settled is to let them know what is being done to fix the problem and the prognosis for completing the journey. Communications were obviously inadequate, to say the least. This is not rocket science, just good working practice. You say that ‘2 hour without information is a little strange’ – I’d say it was verging on incompetence on the part of the cabin and flight deck crew. (And, yes, I know that may be a little harsh as well – but it is their job!). It’s not that difficult for one of the crew every 15-20 minutes to keep passengers advised of the situation. Even saying that they don’t know when it will be fixed at the very least lets passengers know they have not been forgotten

Furthermore, if it is true that this was not the first time that this aircraft experienced the same fault, perhaps further questions need to be asked.

I say these things as an ex-maintainer of aircraft and someone who now flies frequently as a fare-paying passenger. I hold flight deck crew and cabin crew in high regard, but it is as well to remember that it is not ‘pathetic’ to expect to be treated as a paying customer.