PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COVENTRY
Thread: COVENTRY
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2010, 17:09
Standard Noise
StandupfortheUlstermen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
but since we have radar cover from BHX is it not just unnecessary duplicate to have it at CVT ? Many are the occasions where I was held up while ATC had to wait for clearance from BHX for a Thomson 737 to depart so they were a pretty expensive bunch of people to have to just make a telephone call.
OK, let me elaborate........
Air Traffic at Birmingham is provided by NATS, they are contracted by the airport authority to provide ATS for Birmingham Airport, no more, so why would they do it for Cov? NATS is a commercial organisation, it does not provide free ATS just to keep a few pilots happy.
CCC (and subsequent owners, as feckless as they may have turned out!) have never felt the need to contract out ATC to NATS or disestablish it altogether. This has mainly been because there was a hope that the airport could be built up.

The fact that you have been held up because a clearance was needed for a commercial flight is neither here nor there. Maybe you didn't notice that the 33 approach at Birmingham dissects the 23 climb out/05 approach at Cov? Or that the MSA doesn't allow 737s on an IFR flight knob about at 1499 feet. Not to mention that once a/c pass 1500 feet they are in Birmingham's airpsace (or at least that was the case back in my day)?

I'm not against the airport running without ATC, but the friends that I have who still work there are ATC staff and I'd like to see them continuing in employment.

If you wish to include me in the 'G-RICH is a wker' brigade, then that is your privilege, all I said was that your knowledge of my profession is nil and intimating that your continued ATC bashing was pointless and does nothing for your argument.

Oh, and while I'm at it.....
so they were a pretty expensive bunch of people to have to just make a telephone call.
ATCOs, no matter where they work are not just telephonists! And you have the cheek to call me patronising!? Live in a glass house do you? Or have you joined the wker brigade you so despise?

Oh, and for your information, a similar system of releases for a/c works over at Belfast City. Been to the Belfast City thread to run it down have you or are you being selective?

Last edited by Standard Noise; 21st Feb 2010 at 17:26.