PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Don't just book it - Thomas **** it!
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2010, 14:30
flyinthesky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JulieAndrews

As a current TCX Captain, perhaps I could answer soem of the points you raise in a slightly more balanced (perhaps less caustic) way than Fernanjet. Although I do understand what he was trying to say.

Regarding our ability to dispatch flights on time. Our average OTP is around the 85% mark. This winter that has been affected by anything from snow to having steps ploughed into the side of aircraft. The impact on the programme cannot be underestimated. As an example, TCX managed throughout the whole of the recent snow without cancelling any flights albeit with some delays. EZY/RYR cancelled hundreds.

Since I was not operating your flight, I am unable to comment on the particular circumstances. HOWEVER, I would be very surprised if you were 'fed a line' at Manchester. It is our policy and those of our ground agents to be as clear and accurate as we can be. BUT please bear in mind that if an aircraft is tech, the juggling that goes on is major. The solution can change several times in just a couple of minutes. Therefore it can seem to some that they have not been given the full story. Once you are on board, I would never lie. I will ask what thay have already been told and try to add more detail to this.

Regarding our fleet being 'fit for purpose'. Our fleet is no older than any other charter operators. All aircraft are maintained to just about the highest standards of any UK operator. We ONLY carry acceptable deferred defects. And regarding the MEL, if it says NO GO, then we don't go. Simples. This is backed up from the very top downwards. As a Captain, I would not take an aircraft anywhere illegally.

Regarding your baggage limits. The reason that EZY/RYR have taken away bag limits is to try to push people into not placing items in the hold. It costs them money. Since most of our pax are not going on a short euro break, they generally travel with the kitchen sink. They do not pay to place items into the hold, it is included in their ticket. To be absolutely frank, I bet very few have ever looked at the overhaed bins and seen the weight limit sticker. If 5 pax had bags weighing 20kgs each, then theoretically they could bust the weight limit. There is also the question about practicality of large pieces of luggage in the cabin.

Paxboy makes salient comments indeed. Yes as a company we are still going strong after 170 years and the constant chipping away by the Lo-Co's.

I cannot comment about your airport experiences, aside to say that just about anywhere in the world is easier to get through than a UK airport. And that stands for crew as well as pax - perhaps you could contact your MP

I'm actually really sorry that your experience with us wasn't as good as it could have been. I still think that most of what you describe is more a run of bad luck than a company conspiring against you.