PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOPA UK Memberships
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2010, 13:57
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to boost membership so that AOPA can become a worthy organisation to represent UK GA in the same way as US AOPA looks after its own.
Unfortunately AOPA UK doesn't represent pilots in the same was as US AOPA does. UK AOPA appears to be run as a business to me designed to make money and they hold considerable assets which could be sold and the money used for better things...IMHO.

It should be about ME ME ME because why else would someone join an organisation unless THEY get benefit from it? We don't do it out of the goodness of our hearts.

The first place the press run to when an incident like the Austin one happens, is AOPA US. In the UK they would say "AOPA who?".

AOPA UK have had PLENTY of opportunity to improve themselves and attract more members, I expect PPLIR have more members now, and they have been running for far less time. Why? They represent the interests of their members and give them something useful in return - they are proactive. AOPA UK do not appear to be. And they don't appear to be that effective either.

I am a member of AOPA US and have been since 2001. I do a lot of flying in the USA which is why I joined. They have useful content on their website, ranging from the interactive "courses" (some of which are recognised by the FAA towards the BFR requirement) to the VREF aircraft valuation tool. Not to mention their very good magazine which is better than most UK GA Mags.

They liaise closely with the FAA and whenever the FAA proposes changes that will affect GA they are there straight away and the FAA listens to them as they are respected. They are able to represent individual pilots with the FAA - for example if you failed your medical they could argue your case. The same relationship with the UK CAA does not exist on the same level. When a newspaper reports some negative GA story, AOPA US write a reasoned well balanced response which is published and takes the heat away.

I'm a member of PPL/IR and they have always seemed to represent their members on a similar level to AOPA US which is why I remain a member. If that changes then I'd re-consider my membership but at the moment I am happy with them.

Perhaps now is the time to disband AOPA UK and start AOPA EASA?