PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-Air Collision over Southern Germany (merged)
Old 8th Jul 2002, 05:09
mole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P22

Totally agree with you, however in this case the 737 pilot obviously didn't show any so wouldn't this have been a very good time for some early ATC intervention? Ferris apparently believes he shouldn’t intervene for fear of a bwahahaha (whatever that might be) and I quote:

“The rate you approach that level is up to you. Imagine this "Easy captain, I think you are descending too fast...." bwahahaha.

What on earth is wrong with “reduce your rate of descent” we are asked to increase it often enough and I don’t recall anyone replying bwahahaha on such occasions.

If Ferris is happy to watch two blips closing rapidly laterally and vertically and doesn’t even consider the possibility of an altitude bust then he is a much braver man than I. When climbing or descending towards opposite traffic with a planned separation of 1000ft I will always reduce vertical speed prior to level off, it does avoid the pucker effect. I believe the majority of ATC controllers act in a way which demonstrates a good knowledge of airmanship principals, on this occasion I just think Ferris left it a bit late. The RA occurred just before he spoke so I suggest it is fairly evident it was too late. He originally cited this incident as an example of ATC intervention being better then following an RA. He subsequently clarified what he meant in a reply to Standard Departure. So I guess everybody is now in agreement: early ATC intervention is better than waiting for an RA to occur. Fortunately the RA must have stopped at the same time as the 2 aircraft leveled off so no harm done just a few grey hairs.

My point is this entire proximity event could have been avoided with timely intervention. Perhaps I should call this common sense rather than airmanship if I am to avoid censure by you once again P22!

Last edited by mole; 8th Jul 2002 at 05:14.