PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-Air Collision over Southern Germany (merged)
Old 8th Jul 2002, 00:56
mole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ferris,

Thank you for your reasoned response. I don’t claim to be anything, I am what I am.

Someone who takes the slightest criticism so badly perhaps should reflect very carefully. The point I was making, as I am sure you are aware, is that when two aircraft in climb/descent are planned to level and then cross on minimum separation AND one of them has an enormous rate of descent then you should be preempting the obvious result. That means trying to move one laterally so they don’t cross (no longer pointing at each other!) Alternatively why not ask the aircraft with an excessive rate of descent to reduce it or stop 2000ft above the traffic. Either way you would have avoided setting off the TCAS RA in your incident and saved a few grey hairs on the pilots involved, not to mention your own. If you had asked the 737 to reduce his ROD and he declined then he would have been a total as$hole (and realised so after getting the RA) TCAS is a very essential tool and shouldn’t be messed with. If you point two aircraft at each other with high vertical closing rates aiming to stop them 1000ft apart you are guaranteeing a TCAS TA and very likely an RA as in your case. We call it airmanship what do you call it?

Last edited by mole; 8th Jul 2002 at 01:01.