PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lufthansa Pilots to ballot on strike action
Old 20th Feb 2010, 19:18
747guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Cost Airlines

In reply to Beagle, it would appear your head really is firmly fixed in the sand....?

Let me explain, I for one, was of the belief that the whole low cost airline model was just a fad some years ago, and have been proven wrong on an annual basis. Like it or not, these guys have not been "falling out the skies" as predicted by many aviation professionals and after discussing company SOP's and general operating standards with many of their crews over the past couple of years it would appear (much to the annoyance of "legacy" crews) that the cockpit crews of these low cost airlines do a good job....

There has been a "sea change" in the way the fare paying public view air travel these days....let's face it, why for years did we pay £200+ for the likes of BA, LH & Swiss to transport us short haul (less than 2 hours) across Europe???

This "charade" went un-noticed by the flying public for many years (be this ignorance or apathy), but now that the cat is out of the bag, so to speak, the public is no longer tolerant of paying top dollar for prima donna pilots and legacy airline management to get them from a similar (note, I do not say the "same") A to B for a fraction of the cost, without additional risks....

This trend is continuing today, and the sooner the "legacy" guys wake up and realise this is a PERMANENT shift in sentiment by the public, the better....the alternative will be a "slow & lingering death" for the legacy airlines and staff.

My prediction for the next 5 years....BA (and to a lesser extent LH) management will happily sit back and let their crews carry out strike actions, driving these airlines into bankruptcy, so that management can return to "a heroes welcome" (in their warped minds at least) and re-structure these failed legacy carriers....

Let us review these comments again on 20 Feb 2015 my friend and see who is more correct?

Last edited by 747guru; 20th Feb 2010 at 19:35.